- Making a Freedom of Information request
- The National Archives' publication scheme
- About Freedom of Information
- Environmental Information Regulations
- Information requests
Stolen or missing records
FOI request reference: F0027893
Response sent: April 2011
1. The number of items in The National Archives' collection that have been listed as stolen or missing from 1 January 2005 to the present day.
2. The date listed as stolen/missing and the item's description and value and which items have been recovered.
1. Between 1 January 2005 and 24 March 2011 a total of 2,134 records were reported missing at some stage. Of this total, 664 have been subsequently located and 1,470 remain missing. We do not have any records listed as stolen from the collection during this period.
2. The spreadsheet at the bottom of the page details the 2,134 files. The National Archives' document reference number (column B), title (columns C-F), the date recorded missing (column A) and whether the item has been recovered (column L).
The full catalogue entry for each document can be viewed by entering the reference number on The National Archives' online Catalogue.
Our Catalogue provides the date the file was listed as missing and the public body which transferred the document. If a document is known to be missing it is indicated on the catalogue.
None of the documents held at The National Archives have a monetary value attached to them but are considered priceless because they form part of more than 1,000 years of history. Government records that are considered historically significant are selected for permanent preservation and sent to The National Archives to protect.
In addition, you may be interested to know that The National Archives currently holds approximately 11 million records in its collection. The 1,470 records listed as 'reported missing' make up 0.01% the collection. We deliver in excess of 600,000 original files per year to the public, staff and government departments. Inevitably, a small percentage of these records are misplaced as part of the production and retrieval process. This is generally due to files being misplaced following previous requests.
Missing documents 2011 (XLS, 0.00Mb)
This page contains XLS files. See plug-ins and file formats for help in accessing these file types.