Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

CHURCHILL - REDMAN LIMITED, MACHINE TOOL MANUFACTURERS, HALIFAX


The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below. See the entire contents of the catalogue

Reference CR
Covering dates 1918-1971
Held by West Yorkshire Archive Service, Calderdale
Extent 3 boxes/0.06 cubic metres
Conditions of access Open
Source of acquisition Deposited: Burnley D, Birmingham
Accessioned: 1992 Jan 26
Creators Churchill-Redman Limited, Halifax, machine tool manufacturers


Administrative history:
In 1871 Cornelius Redman and his three sons started their machine tool venture by making manually operated bench drills at a workshop in Halifax town centre. Twenty years later expansion of trade encouraged them to erect the Pioneer Works, buildings between Parkinson Lane and Warley Rd. Here Redman, like others, made any machine required of them. By the turn of the century they were making their name in planing machines although by the 1930s the other specialisation was in lathes. In the 20th century, the firm alternated between being called C Redman and Sons Ltd and Churchill-Redman Ltd. During World War II, they manufactured bomb cases. In 1972, production was moved to Tyne & Wear, and the closure of the company was raised in Parliament


Contents:
Only a small amount for this major firm has been deposited




The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of West Yorkshire Archive Service, Calderdale
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by West Yorkshire Archive Service, Calderdale