Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

North Shields, St Andrew Congregational Church, Camden Street

The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below. See the entire contents of the catalogue

Reference C.NS10
Covering dates 1760 - 1977
Held by Tyne and Wear Archives Service
Extent 3.3m
Archival history Collected from St Columba's church.
Creators Congregational Church, North Shields St Andrew Congregation, Tyne and Wear
Related information For records of North Shields, St Columba URC church see C.NS13, and for records of Howard Street Presbyterian Church see C.NS16.

Administrative history:
St Columba's United Reformed Church, Northumberland Square, North Shields was formed in 1972 with the amalgamation of St Andrew's congregational Chapel, Camden Street with St Columba's United Presbyterian Church, Northumberland Square. St Andrew's Congregational Chapel was founded in 1818 by a minority of congregationalists who broke away from the Howard Street Presbyterian church following the death of its first minister. It was also known as the Independent Chapel. St Andrew's merged with Stephenson Street Congregational Church in 1944, and finally closed in 1947. The Stephenson Street church closed in 1973, having assumed the name and role of the St Andrew's Congregational Church. It was in 1973 that the churches of St Columba's and St Andrew's amalgamated to become St Columba's United Reformed Church.

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Tyne and Wear Archives Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Tyne and Wear Archives Service