||Accession Numbers 2547, 5626
|Source of acquisition
||The majority of the records were deposited by the Countess of Sefton, widow of Hugh, 7th Earl of Sefton, in February 1973 (Acc. 2547). Some of the records (Acc. 2547) were purchased from the Friends of Croxteth Hall in July 2002 (refs: 920 SEF/5/1C, 920 SEF/5/2B, 920 SEF/2/15, 920 SEF/7/15, 920 SEF/7/16, 920 SEF/7/17, 920 SEF/9/19, 920 SEF/9/20, and 920 SEF/9/21).
||Molyneux family, Earls of Sefton
||The collection is arranged as follows:
* 920 SEF/1 Diaries of Henry Hervey Molyneux (1842-1915), 48 volumes, 1870-1915
* 920 SEF/2 Diaries of Charles William Hylton Molyneux ("Mull") (1867-1901) 5th Earl of Sefton, 3 volumes, 1888, 1889, 1894
* 920 SEF/3 Diaries of Lady Rose Molyneux (1870-1905), 3 volumes, 1886, 1888, 1889
* 920 SEF/4 Diaries of Lady Helena Mary Molyneux, Countess of Sefton (1875-1947), 49 volumes, 1898-1917, 1919-1947
* 920 SEF/5 Travel Diaries and albums etc. of Lady Helena Mary Molyneux, Countess of Sefton, 52 volumes, 1898-1917, 1919-1947
* 920 SEF/6 Diaries of Sir Frederick Molyneux (1873-1954), 37 volumes, 1891-1900, 1901, 1918-1922, 1925-1953 920 SEF/7 Game Books, records of shooting, coursing etc, 17 volumes, 1815-1945
* 920 SEF/8 Records relating to the household, 23 bundles, 3 volumes, 1841-1843, 1867-1897
* 920 SEF/9 Photographs, drawings etc, 12 volumes, 2 bundles, 7 items, 19th, 20th centuries
* 920 SEF/10 Miscellanous papers, 14 items, 1818-1945
||The bulk of the Sefton's "estate papers" are deposited in the Lancashire Record Office in Preston. These include manorial records, title deeds, estate papers, appointments, settlements and wills etc, legal, business and official papers, plans, rentals and acconts in the periof 14th - 19th centuries. Further details of these holdings are given in R. Shrarpe France in 'Guide to the Lancashire Record Office' (1985) under 'Molyneux, Earls of Sefton (DDM)' on pp.243-247.
The following printed works give further details of the family and of Croxteth Hall. Additional works are listed in the Local History Catalogue under 'Molyneux family'.
* J.J. Bagley, 'Molyneux family' in 'History of Lancashire' (6th Edition, 1976), pp.47-49
* Burke's, 'Peerage and Boronetage', (105th edition, 1970), pp. 2397-2398 gives a genealogical history of the Molyneux family Earls of Sefton. See also earlier editions of Burke's 'Peerage and Baronetage' through 20th and 19th centuries
* G. Chandler, 'Liverpool' (1957). See index under 'Molyneux family; Sefton, Earls of and 'Croxteth Hall' - W. Farrer and J. Brownbill, 'Victoria History if the County of Lancaser, Volume 3' (1907), pp.15, 16, 67-73
* P. Fleetwood-Hesketh, 'Murray's Lancashire Architectural Guide' (1955), p.49 - J. Foster, 'Pedigree of Molyneux, Earls of Sefton' in 'Pedigrees of the County Families of England, Volume 1, Lancashire' (1873), p.209
* Liverpool Heritage Bureau, 'Buildings of Liverpool' (1978), pp.258-263
* J. Lofthouse, 'Molyneux, Earls of Sefton' in 'Lancashire's Old Families' (1972), pp.61-69
* J. Ramsay Muir, 'A History of Liverpool' (1907). See index under 'Molyneux family' and 'Sefton, Earls of'
* N. Pevsner, 'Buildings of Enland: South Lancashire' (1979 repr.), pp.216-217
* J.A. Picton, 'Memorials of Liverpool, Volumes 1 and 2' (1903). See under index 'Molyneux' and 'Sefton, Earls of
* Undated typescript notes in biographical newspapers cuttings, under Sefton family