Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network


The entire contents of this catalogue are shown below. Browse the hierarchical structure instead

Reference IV/119
Covering dates 1879-1949
Held by Lambeth Archives Department
Extent 28 documents
Source of acquisition Acc. No. L19925
Creators South London Dwellings Company Ltd
Related information See IV/113.

The Company's Lambeth premises, known as Surrey Lodge, were on the north-west corner of the junction of Lambeth Road and Kennington Road. The annual report for 1879 (the 2nd Annual Report) records that the high blocks and cottages were almost finished. The prime mover was Miss Emma Cons, to whose plans the Lodge was built, and who was a director for many years. She ran Surrey Lodge and from 1884 for a number of years submitted an annual 'Letter' dealing with such things as the sanatorium, the library, evening classes, day nurseries, tenants' case histories, and various 'treats.' In 1903 and 1910 the Letter also reports a 'census,' giving residents' occupations. After Emma's death in 1912 her sister Ellen carried on the work, but the Letters ceased.

Printed annual reports and balance sheets including Letter to shareholders  IV/119/1-17  1879-1908

1879, 1882, 1884, 1887-1895
1899, 1903, 1906-1908

Letter to shareholders and account of donations received  IV/119/18-20  1909-1911

Annual reports and balance sheets  IV/119/21-28  1913-1949

1913, 1917, 1918, 1945, 1947-1949

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Lambeth Archives Department
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Lambeth Archives Department