ROYAL NORTHERN HOSPITAL GROUP
MATERNITY NURSING ASSOCIATION H33/MNA
Source of acquisition:
Transferred to the record office with the archives of the Royal Northern Hospital on 31 May 1991 (Acc 2934).
Maternity Nursing Association, 1897-c 1954
The Maternity Nursing Association was started in 1897 by Miss Edith May. Miss May had trained as a midwife in 1892, and returned to her home parish of St Jude, Gray's Inn Road to practise. She united this parish with her father's parish of St Andrew, Holborn, to form the Maternity Nursing Mission which was based in 2 flats in King's Cross Road.
The mission opened on Mar 25 1897 but has since been called the Maternity Nursing Association. Its aim was to enable women to be attended in their own homes by fully qualified nurses, to receive pupils for training and to provide Maternity and Infant Welfare Centres.
After the advent of the National Health Service in 1948 the association came under the control of the Northern Group Hospital Management Committee, but in 1954 was transferred to London County Council control.
The records of the association consist of council and committee minutes (4 volumes), annual reports (9 volumes), wages book (1 volume), analysis of expenditure (1 volume) and a book of newspaper cuttings and copies of leaflets concerning the association.
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
London Metropolitan Archives
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014