Records of the Ranyard Mission and Ranyard Nurses
||1857 - 1969
||London Metropolitan Archives
|Conditions of access
||All records are available for inspection (provided that their physical condition is sound) with the exception of Council minutes within the last 30 years. Council minute books, therefore, which contain material of this date, will not be produced.
|Source of acquisition
||Deposited 18 May 1965 (AC.65.44)
Further records deposited 16 October 1978 (Ac.78.54).
||Ranyard Mission and Ranyard Nurses
The organisation known as "The Ranyard Mission and Ranyard Nurses" originated as "The London Bible and Domestic Female Mission" - a lay group of Anglican bible women founded in 1857 by Mrs L. N. Ranyard. In 1868 a nursing branch was added, and the title was changed to the London Biblewomen and Nurses Mission. In 1952 the headquarters was moved from Holborn to Kennington and the organisation was then known by the title of "Ranyard Mission and Ranyard Nurses." "The South Lee Benevolent Society and Nurses Fund" (see A/RNY/75-84) was supplied with the services of a nurse by the Ranyard Mission. In 1965 the nurses were taken over by the Boroughs, but the Home at Lewisham is still run by trustees.
The following information was sent to the Record Office by Mr R. Crosfield Harris, Treasurer of the Ranyard Mission Fund:-
The Chief Archivist, GLC. - 2 22 March 1976
"In 1958 the Ranyard Memorial Charitable Trust was set up by an admirer of the work of the Ranyard Nurses, Mr A.C. Parker of Lewisham, for the building of a Nursing Home for terminal illness. With assistance from the Ogilvie Charities and other donors the Ranyard Memorial Nursing Home was built in Blessington Road, Lewisham, on land leased from the Merchant Taylors Company. It is managed by a committee responsible to the Trustees of the Ranyard Memorial Charitable Trust. These Trustees also administer the Ranyard Mission Fund - the funds of the Ranyard Mission and the Ranyard Nurses - under a Scheme of the Charity Commission. The income of this Fund, after paying pensions to retired members of the staff of the Ranyard Mission and Ranyard Nurses, is available towards the maintenance of the Home".
The following is a summary of the items listed
A/RNY/1 - 10 Registers
A/RNY/11 - 84 Printed Annual Reports
A/RNY/85 - 94 Correspondence, reports and booklets
A/RNY/95 - 160 Bound volumes of magazines
A/RNY/161 - 196 Printed pamphlets, accounts of the Mission, speeches, photographs, badges
A/RNY/197 - 210 Miscellaneous books
A/RNY/211-220 1859-1887, 1910-1917, 1925-1966 Council minutes
A/RNY/221-224 1898-1927 Finance Committee minutes
A/RNY/225-228 1928-1946 Executive Committee minutes, and combined Council and Executive Committee minutes
A/RNY/229,230 -1917, 1937-1960 Special Funds, notes and minutes
A/RNY/231 -1878 Out-letter book, etc.
A/RNY/232-235 1932-[1960s] Miscellaneous printed items and photograph.
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
London Metropolitan Archives
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014