CURRYS GROUP PLC
||1896 - 1985
||London Metropolitan Archives
|Conditions of access
||All unpublished material is subject to a 30 year closure period.
|Source of acquisition
||The records were deposited in 1995.
||Currys Group Service Limited, 1972 - 1981; CGS Limited, 1981 -; Currys Micro-Systems Limited, 1979 -; Carousel Colourhire Limited, 1980 -; Starbond Limited, 1970 -; Bridgers Discount Limited, 1981 -
The company was founded in Leicester in 1884 by Henry Curry as H. Curry and Sons and was carried on in partnership until 1922 when Currys Limited was registered as a private company. In 1927, it was incorporated under the Companies Acts, 1908 to 1917, as a limited company called Currys (1927) Limited. It was renamed Currys Limited in 1930, and in 1981 was re-registered under the Companies Act 1980 as a public company and renamed Currys Group plc.
The business began as the manufacture and retail through high street shops of bicycles and related items. The first shop was opened in Leicester in 1888. The company rapidly expanded by opening more shops and, in 1927, it acquired the Campion Cycle Company Limited. By this date, it had opened 134 shops throughout the South of England, the Midlands and the Eastern counties and had also made rapid progress in the manufacture and sale of gramophones, wirelesses and other electrical goods. The company acquired other subsidiary companies and continued its expansion especially in its electrical sections. This side of the business eventually became dominant.
Acquisitions made by the company
Date of acquisition
1927 Campion Cycle Company Limited
At the date of acquisition, the company had been established for more than 40 years. It had 20 branches in the Midlands for the retail trade of bicycles, motorcycles and accessories. In 1930, it ceased retail trade (which was taken over by Currys Ltd.) and became a finance company to finance hire-purchase business done by Currys Ltd. At this time, it was renamed Basinghall Finance Company Limited and in 1933 was renamed Basinghall Industrial Services Limited.
1927 Belcher (Radio Services) Limited
This trade and repair service company was acquired as an existing subsidiary of the Campion Cycle Company Limited. It was renamed Belcher Electronic Services Limited in 1963, Currys Group Service Limited in 1972 and CGS Limited in 1981.
1935 H.B. Rogers Limited
The company was formed in 1934 as an importer and wholesaler of electrical goods. In 1935 it was acquired by Basinghall Industrial Services Limited. It was renamed Currys Micro-Systems Limited in 1979.
1937 Ideal Rental Services Limited
The company was formed in 1937 to handle the renting of wirelesses, and was acquired in the same year by Basinghall Industrial Services Limited. It was renamed Carousel Colourhire Limited in 1980.
1948 Triumph Holdings Limited
The company was formed in 1948 and in the same year became an associated company of Currys Limited. It was renamed Phoebus Holdings Limited in 1954 and Starbond Limited in 1970.
1957 T Bridger and Son Limited
The company was formed in 1953 for the retail of domestic electrical appliances, television and radio. It was renamed Bridgers Discount Limited in 1981.
1976 R W Proffitt Limited
The company, concerned with the retail of domestic electrical appliances, television, radio and audio equipment, was previously part of the retail chain of Loyds Retailers Limited, a subsidiary of Philips Electronic and Associated Industries Limited.
1979 W.R. Stott (Shopfitters) Limited
In 1979 Currys Limited acquired 49% of the share capital of the company.
The collection comprises records of the parent company and a few records of subsidiary and associated companies. A chronological list of company acquisitions for which there are records is included in this catalogue.
The records of the parent company include memoranda and articles of association (ACC/3485/1-3), a series of board minute books, 1922-79 (with gaps) (ACC/3485/4-16), which, in addition to policy decisions, include minutes of some annual general meetings and committee meetings, one separate AGM minute book, 1927-72 (ACC/3485/17) and an almost unbroken series of annual reports and statements of accounts presented to shareholders, 1925-83 (ACC/3485/18-74). There are also minutes of meetings of three committees: the directors' committee (known also at various times as the depot management committee, the joint managing directors' committee and the group management committee), 1927-85 (ACC/3485/77-124), at which decisions concerning the operation of the business especially at branch level were taken, the committee of the staff life assurance scheme, 1952-8 (ACC/3485/125) and the sealing committee, 1966-8 (ACC/3485/126). The collection also includes a few share records (ACC/3485/127-31), internal accounting and financial records (ACC/3485/132-43), records relating to the administration of the business (ACC/3485/144-9) and records relating to property (ACC/3485/150-60).
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
London Metropolitan Archives
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014