Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

HATFIELD PARISH RECORDS


The entire contents of this catalogue are shown below. Browse the hierarchical structure instead

Reference DP46
Covering dates 1653 - 1995
Held by Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies
Extent 91 files
Conditions of access PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING REGISTERS HAVE NOT BEEN DEPOSITED IN THE RECORD OFFICE - THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON MICROFILM ONLY
Baptism register 1653-1713 Microfilm No 521
Baptism register 1713 - 1782 Microfilm No 521
Baptism register 1783 - 1812 Microfilm No 521
Baptism register 1813 - 1828 Microfilm No 521
Baptism register 1829 - 1851 Microfilm No 521
Baptism register 1852 - 1869 Microfilm No 534
Baptism register 1869 - 1886 Microfilm No 534
Baptism register 1886 - 1922 Microfilm No 534
Marriage register 1654 - 1741 Microfilm No 521
Marriage register 1741 - 1755 Microfilm No 521
Marriage register [includes Banns] 1754 - 1772 Microfilm No 534
Marriage register 1772 - 1812 Microfilm No 534
Banns register 1772 - 1782 Microfilm No 534
Marriage register 1813 - 1837 Microfilm No 535
Marriage register 1837 - 1866 Microfilm No 535
Marriage register 1866 - 1898 Microfilm No 535
Marriage register 1898 - 1918 Microfilm No 535
Burial register 1653 - 1678 Microfilm No 521
Burial register 1678 - 1713 Microfilm No 536
Burial register 1695 - 1750 Microfilm No 536
Burial register 1751 - 1812 Microfilm No 536
Burial register 1813 - 1836 Microfilm No 536
Burial register 1837 - 1875 Microfilm No 536
Burial register 1876 - 1940 Microfilm No 536
Register of briefs 1663 - 1713 Microfilm No 521
Source of acquisition Documents deposited by the Incumbent and Parochial Church Council of Hatfield under the terms of the Parochial Registers and Records Measures 1929, 1977 and 1992 in 1996
Creators Church of England, Hatfield Parish, Hertfordshire

Administrative history:
The parish church of Hatfield, St Etheldreda has been in existence since the early thirteenth century. The parish includes the Chapels of Ease of St Michael and All Angels, Birchwood Avenue dating from 1955; St Luke, St Albans Road East dating from 1877 and St John, Bishop's Rise dating from 1960. Many of the records are still in parish custody and many were destroyed in the nineteenth century.

Contents:
Parish church: St Etheldreda Chapels of Ease: St John, Bishop's Rise St Luke, St Albans Road East St Michael and All Angels, Birchwood Avenue



INCUMBENT  [no ref. or date]

Service of the Church  DP46/1  [n.d.]

Services  [no ref. or date]

Register of services  DP46/1/1  1855-1871

Register of services  DP46/1/2  1871-1876

Register of services  DP46/1/3  1876-1888

Register of services  DP46/1/4  1888-1899

Register of services  DP46/1/5  1899-1907

Register of services  DP46/1/6  1907-1915

Register of services  DP46/1/7  1915-1923

Register of services  DP46/1/8  1923-1931

Register of services  DP46/1/9  1931-1939

Register of services  DP46/1/10  1939-1948

Register of services  DP46/1/11  1948-1957

Register of services  DP46/1/12  1957-1966

Register of services  DP46/1/13  1966-1973

Register of services  DP46/1/14  1973-1981

St Luke  [no ref. or date]

Register of services  DP46/1/15  1891-1913

Register of services  DP46/1/16  1914-1935

Register of services  DP46/1/17  1935-1945

Register of services  DP46/1/18  1945-1953

Register of services  DP46/1/19  1968-1981

Institutions, Admissions and Licences  DP46/2  [n.d.]

Institution of the Revd William W C Talbot as rector  DP46/2/1  1854

1 item

Stipendiary Curates licences  DP46/2/2  1867-1965

1 bdl

Marriage licences  DP46/2/3  1890; 1930; 1937

3 items

Marriage licences  DP46/2/4  1940-1957

1 bdl

Marriage licences  DP46/2/5  1916; 1967-1995

1 bdl

Licence to perform divine service in Countess Ann's Schoolroom while the parish church is closed for repairs  DP46/2/6  Jun 1871

1 item

Licences to officiate and perform divine service in Newtown chapel and Chiswell Green chapel, and Roe Green Mission Room  DP46/2/7  1936

3 items

Notice of Transfer of Right of Presentation from Robert, Marquess of Salisbury and Lord David Cecil to the said Robert, Marquess of Salisbury  DP46/2/8  Feb 1984

1 item

Consecration of addition to private burial ground for the Marquess of Salisbury  DP46/2/9  Oct 1938

1 bdl

St John  [no ref. or date]

Licence to officiate and perform divine service in the Community Hall at Roe Green  DP46/2/10  Dec 1955

1 item

Licence for banns and marriages at St John's  DP46/2/11  Jun 1960

1 item

Sentence of Consecration for St John's  DP46/2/12  Mar 1960

1 item

St Luke  [no ref. or date]

Licence for banns and marriages at St Luke's  DP46/2/13  Mar 1971

1 item

St Michael and All Angels  [no ref. or date]

Licences to officiate and perform divine service in the temporary church of St Michael and All Angels, Birchwood  DP46/2/14  1946; 1955

2 items

Sentence of consecration for St Michael and All Angels, Birchwood  DP46/2/15  Jul 1955

1 item

Property and Income of Benefice  DP46/3  [n.d.]


Related information: For terrier and valuation, 1855 see CP44/8/4

Exchange of land in Bishops Hatfield between the Marquess of Salisbury and the Revd F J Faithful  DP46/3/1  Aug 1850

1 item

Contents:
Includes marginal plan

Terrier  DP46/3/2  1890

1 item

Terrier  DP46/3/3  1898

4 items

Terrier  DP46/3/4  1916

1 item

Terrier and inventory  DP46/3/5  1941

1 item

Typescript copy of conveyance of Hatfield rectory and adjoining glebe lands to Archdeacon Gibbs  DP46/3/6  1913-1928

1 bdl

Contents:
With related papers

Papers relating to the setting up of the parish of Welwyn Garden City and Conventional District of Hatfield Hyde  DP46/3/7  1925-May 1935

1 bdl

Contents:
Including Orders in Council and correspondence relating to the proposed endowments for the new arrangements

Order in Council for the formation of Welwyn Garden City parish  DP46/3/8  Aug 1927

1 item

Order in Council for the formation of the district of St Mary Magdalene, Hatfield Hyde  DP46/3/9  Nov 1927

1 item

Order in Council  DP46/3/10  1959

4 items

Contents:
For scheme for pastoral reorganisation of the parishes of Bishop's Hatfield; Essendon; North Mimms; and St Mark, Colney Heath
Includes plan

Pastoral Order altering the boundaries of Lemsford, Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City parishes  DP46/3/11  Mar 1989

1 item

Contents:
With map

Statements of stock invested by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners  DP46/3/12  Jun 1929-Mar 1932

5 items

Lists of church plate from Wm Comyns and Sons of Beak Street, London  DP46/3/13  1915

roll

Contents:
Concerning St Mark's, Woodhill; Newtown, Hatfield; the Hyde, Hatfield and Hatfield parish church

Dilapidations assessments  DP46/3/14  Apr 1929-May 1960

4 items

Sequestration orders  DP46/3/15  Mar 1950; Jan 1961

2 items

Contents:
On the resignation of the Revd Basil Montague Dale; on the elevation of the Revd Richard David Say

Faculty  DP46/3/16  Apr 1854

1 item

Contents:
Authority to purchase additional burial ground

St Luke  [no ref. or date]

Faculty  DP46/3/17  Mar 1938

1 item

Contents:
Gravespace in Newtown Burial Ground for Mrs A Green and others

Deed of appointment in respect of a stained glass window erected in the cemetery chapel, Newtown  DP46/3/18  Dec 1924

1 item

Conveyance of addition to the Newtown Cemetery  DP46/3/19  Mar 1927

1 item

Faculties  DP46/3/20  1958-1991

1 item

Contents:
Memorial in churchyard- Edith May Wilkinson; Churchyard extension, 1958; Exhumation and re-interment of cremated remains of George Benjamin Cole Fowler from St Marks' Colney to St Lukes' churchyard, 1984; gravespace reservation-O'Connor, 1985; gravespace reservation, 1991

Hatfield Hyde  [no ref. or date]

Conveyance of an addition to the burial ground at Hatfield Hyde  DP46/3/21  1914

1 item

CHURCHWARDENS  [no ref. or date]

Property  DP46/6  [n.d.]

Deed of security  DP46/6/1  May 1851

1 item

Contents:
Enabling the churchwardens to borrow £900 against the church rates for furthering the purchase of additions to the churchyard

Faculty for the restoration and reseating of the parish church  DP46/6/2  1871

1 item

Faculty for removal and reinternment of the remains of Wynn Ellis  DP46/6/3  Jul 1875

1 item

Correspondence, architect's report and accounts  DP46/6/4  Jul 1898-Sep 1899

1 bdl

Contents:
Concerning the tower restoration

Contract and Vestry Meeting Minutes  DP46/6/5  May-Jul 1901

1 item

Contents:
Concerning the moving, altering and repairing of the organ

Correspondence, specifications and estimates  DP46/6/6  1923-1928

env

Contents:
Concerning tenders to restore the organ

Faculties  DP46/6/7  1911-1927

1 bdl

Contents:
New bells, 1916; memorial tablet and Regimental colours, 1920; stained glass window, 1920; memorial tablet to Lieutenant John William Church 1920; high altar 1922; furnish Brocket Chapel for divine service, 1922; erect three memorials and a tablet of stone 1923; erect riddell posts and curtains to altar, 1924; memorial in bronze on west wall, 1924; carved oak memorial tablet, 1924; electric lighting, 1926; move organ to west end of church, 1927; reinstate oak altar rails, move tombstones, and erect an organ blowing chamber, 1927; memorial tablet - Lady Ballance, 1927

Faculties  DP46/6/8  Aug 1930 - Feb 1955

1 bdl

Contents:
Removal of spire, Aug 1930; repair of roof and Annunciation figures in Brocket chapel, Feb 1935; Two memorial tablets, Jun 1937; memorial oak screen, Jul 1937; memorial tablet, May 1937; repairs to the peal of bells and bellframe, Feb 1938; move choir stalls and replace pulpit, May 1943; Archdeacons certificate for carving the name of Mr Richardson on oak screen, May 1943; Addition of a plaque to the Drage memorials, Aug 1947; new oak pulpit, Feb 1947; memorial hymn board, Feb 1955

Faculties and papers  DP46/6/9  1962-1991

1 bdl

Contents:
Rewiring and installation of six chandeliers, 1962; silver tray, 1965; oil fired heating, 1965; installation of the Wyddial organ, 1965; portable altar and aumbry in Chancel, 1971, 1974; new oil fired boiler and various repairs, 1979; repairs to south transept, 1979; Acolytes' candlesticks and memorial inscription in Brocket Chapel, 1986; Portable font, 1986; Rebuilding parapet of church tower, 1987

Notification of listed building status of the church and churchyard gates  DP46/6/10  1960

1 item

St John  [no ref. or date]

Faculties  DP46/6/11  1985

2 items

Contents:
Aumbry and sanctuary lamp, 1985; gas fired radiant heating system in St John's, 1985

Copy of conveyance from St Albans Diocesan Board of Finance to Church Comissioners for England for site of St John's church  DP46/6/12  Mar 1960

1 item

St Luke  [no ref. or date]

Faculty for re-roofing Chapel of ease of St Luke  DP46/6/13  Jun 1908

1 item

St Michael  [no ref. or date]

Faculties  DP46/6/14  1957, 1959

1 bdl

Contents:
Silver altar cross in chapel of ease of St Michael, Birchwood, Jan 1957; bell bracket on south west wall of St Michael's, Jul 1959

Copy conveyance of land in Birchwood avenue, June 1948 and copy conveyance of new church site, Jul, 1955  DP46/6/15  Jun 1948, Jul 1955

2 items

Miscellaneous  DP46/7  [n.d.]

Copy churchwardens' presentments  DP46/7/1  1963

1 bdl

Copy churchwardens' presentments  DP46/7/2  1965-71

1 bdl

Copy churchwardens' presentments  DP46/7/3  1973

1 bdl

VESTRY AND PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL  DP46/8  [n.d.]


Related information: For Vestry minutes 1843-1894 see CP44/8/2-3

St Luke  [no ref. or date]

Accounts  DP46/8/1  1911-1949

1 vol

CHARITIES AND SCHOOLS  DP46/25  [n.d.]

Couterpart apprenticeship indentures  DP46/25/1  1778; 1779

2 items

Contents:
For Richard Purratt to Samuel Moore, cordwainer and James Phipps to Thomas Phillips, cordwainer under the Earl of Salisbury's Charity

Conveyance and appointment of Trustees of land and school in Grubbs Lane  DP46/25/2  1851; 1898

3 items

Charity Commisson scheme for the Sir Francis Boteler Charity  DP46/25/3  1882

env

Bill of costs  DP46/25/4  1897-1898

bdl

Contents:
In the case of an appeal by the Hatfield churchwardens against a decision of the Court of Appeal concerning the Mary Ross Charity and letter and two reports from The Times concerning the coverage of the case

Agreements to let property in Church Street for a school  DP46/25/5  Mar 1903; Apr 1914

2 items

Agreement to let premises in Endymion Street for a school  DP46/25/6  Apr 1906

1 item

Copy conveyance and Trust Deed  DP46/25/7  Aug 1928

bdl

Contents:
Relating to St Audrey's School [Boys School, Endymion Road, Hatfield]

Typescript copy of 1737 Trust Deed  DP46/25/8  Dec 1942

env

Contents:
Concerning Countess Anne's School, and correspondence concerning its revision

Tithe  DP46/27  [n.d.]

Altered tithe apportionment  DP46/27/1  1877

1 item

Contents:
With map

Tithe redemption certificates  DP46/27/2  1908; 1911; 1921-1932

bdl

Altered tithe apportionments  DP46/27/3  1921; 1922

1 roll

Contents:
With map

MISCELLANEOUS  DP46/29  [n.d.]

Orders of service  DP46/29/1  1928-1986

1 bdl

Contents:
Dedication of the organ at St Etheldreda, May 1928; consecration of St Michael and All Angels, Birchwood, Jul 1955; commemoration of 400th anniversary of the accession of Elizabeth I at Hatfield, Nov 1958; laying of the foundation stone of St John's church by HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent, Jun 1958; reopening of St Etheldreda's Hall, Jan 1970; memorial service for the Revd J W Stow, late rector, Jul 1971; institution and induction of the Revd W C D Todd as rector, Apr 1972; launch of the appeal for tower restoration and new organ, 1996

Instrument fixing table of fees  DP46/29/2  1941

1 item

Printed sermons preached by the Revd B Peile and the Revd H Comyn as curates of Hatfield  DP46/29/3  [c1835]; 1840

2 items

Correspondence and papers  DP46/29/4  1927

1 bdl

Contents:
Concerning the bequest of Miss H M Osbaldeston of Barnstaple to rector and churchwardens of Hatfield

Notes on Hatfield church bells and the restoration of the Salisbury funeral hatchments by Henry Gray  DP46/29/5  1970

1 env

Contents:
Off-print from Hertfordshire Archaeology vol 2

Miscellaneous notes  DP46/29/6  nd [c1850]

1 env

Contents:
Including copies of memorial inscriptions

Correspondence and table of fees  DP46/29/7  1900

1 bdl

Contents:
Concerning the burial acts 1900

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies