INCUMBENT WPR 93/1
Registers WPR 93/1/1
(T) signifies that a parish register transcript or photocopy is available on the searchroom shelves for 1666-1830. Please see list at front of catalogue for further details.
Baptisms, marriages and burials. baptisms and burials 1676-1804; marriages 1676-1759 WPR 93/1/1/1 1676-1804
Baptisms and burials. baptisms 1804-1812; burials 1805-1812 WPR 93/1/1/2 1804-1812
Baptisms WPR 93/1/1/3 1813-1846
Baptisms WPR 93/1/1/4 1846-1876
Marriages and banns. marriages 1754-1812; banns 1754-1822 WPR 93/1/1/5 1754-1822
Marriages WPR 93/1/1/6 1813-1837
Marriages WPR 93/1/1/7 1837-1934
Marriages WPR 93/1/1/8 1934-1947
Marriages WPR 93/1/1/9 1949-1961
Burials WPR 93/1/1/10 1813-1862
Banns WPR 93/1/1/11 1823-1906
Banns WPR 93/1/1/12 1906-1949
Church and services WPR 93/1/2
Service register WPR 93/1/2/1 1939-1967
Offertory and charities account book WPR 93/1/2/2 1875-1924
[no title] WPR 93/1/2/3 1910-1983
- To refloor sanctuary and place brass in church with monition, 1910;
- To insert stained glass window and place memorial brass in church, 1912;
- To replace memorial tablet in church, 1919;
- To erect lych gate at entrance to churchyard with monition, 1920;
- To make alterations in church including resiting of organ, 1936;
- To install new heating system, 1937;
- To place brass tablet in church, 1947;
- To install electric light and organ blower, 1950;
- To build new vestry, 1951;
- To furnish side chapel, 1955;
- To install memorial tablet and chalice, 1960;
- To restore organ, 1962;
- To install chest and remove re-table, 1962;
- To provide ciborium, 1967;
- To alter churchyard gate and install shelf in church entrance, 1968;
- To install processional cross, 1972;
- To install notice board, alms box, safe and monitoring devices, 1975;
- To allocate area of churchyard for cremated remains, resite flagpole and altar, 1982;
- To install heating unit and other works, 1982;
- To install free standing lectern, 1983.
[no title] WPR 93/1/2/4 1857
Conveyance, 13 November 1857,
1. E W Hasell of Dalemain, esq.,
2. Reverend G C Hodgson of New House, Barton, Vicar of Barton.
Premises: parcel of land for erecting vicarage near church.
Consideration: 10 shillings.
[no title] WPR 93/1/2/5 1858
Counterpart mortgage, 23 February 1858,
1. Reverend G C Hodgson, Vicar of Barton,
2. Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty.
To secure payment of £400 with interest to rebuild parsonage house.
[no title] WPR 93/1/2/6 1873
Lease for an unspecified period, 28 October 1873,
1. Frederick Cowper of Carlton Hall, Cumberland, esq.,
2. Reverend G C Hodgson, Vicar of Barton.
Premises: a piece of land at Eamont Bridge, late in occupation of Isaac Longrigg and opposite West Ward Union workhouse with liberty to erect a building made from iron for the purpose of divine worship.
Rent: 1 shilling per year.
Curate's licence of Reverend M S Donald, 25 September, 1887 WPR 93/1/2/7 1887
[no title] WPR 93/1/2/8 Circa 1900-1955
File re history of church and church artifacts, including:
- Notes re history of church compiled at time of completion of restoration [typescript extract from Penrith Observer], circa 1905;
- Extract from Carlisle Diocesan Gazette re 'Church Pewter', [circa 1933];
- Correspondence and historical notes from Howard H Cotterell to Reverend F Hudson re Barton Church pewter flagon, 1933;
- Miscellaneous historical notes re Barton village, church and its artifacts (ms), circa 1900-circa 1930;
- Letter from HMSO re reproduction of photos in Church Guide, 1936;
- Letter from Edward Fawcett of Bristol re royal arms in church, 1940;
- Letter from Diocesan Registrar re dedication of church, 1955.
Account of J H Martindale, architect, Carlisle for work on memorial lychgate, 1920 WPR 93/1/2/9 1920
File of correspondence and assessments re dilapidations WPR 93/1/2/10 1929-1968
Memorandum of agreement with Harrison and Harrison of Durham to tune Barton church organ with covering letter, 29 December 1936 WPR 93/1/2/11 1936
Accounts and papers re restoration of church WPR 93/1/2/12 1951-1953
Church account book WPR 93/1/2/13 1947-1958
Account book for monies paid into Post Office Savings Bank WPR 93/1/2/14 1958-1961
Tithe and endowment WPR 93/1/3
[no title] WPR 93/1/3/1 1578-1908
1578 [copy]; 1730; 1749; 1777 [original and 3 copies];
1828 [draft]; 1878; 1894; 1908.
Terrier and inventory WPR 93/1/3/2 1934
Sockbridge, Yanwath and Eamont Bridge inclosure award and map WPR 93/1/3/3 1818
High Barton tithe map, 1838, and schedule, 1839 WPR 93/1/3/4 1838-1839
Low Winder tithe map, 1843, and schedule, 1839 WPR 93/1/3/5 1839-1843
Sockbridge tithe map, circa 1843, and schedule, 1839 WPR 93/1/3/6 1839-circa 1843
Yanwath and Eamont Bridge tithe map, circa 1844, and schedule, 1843 WPR 93/1/3/7 1843-circa 1844
[no title] WPR 93/1/3/8 1905-1922
Tithe redemption certificates relating to High Barton, Low Winder, Sockbridge, Hartsop and Patterdale, Martindale, Yanwath and Eamont Bridge.
Copy of Barton tithe schedule with list of Martindale tithes due to Vicar of Barton, 1888 WPR 93/1/3/9 Circa 1840
Copy instrument of fees WPR 93/1/3/10 1925
[no title] WPR 93/1/3/11 1931-1952
Copy archideaconal visitations:
1931; 1935; 1939; 1943; 1952.
[no title] WPR 93/1/3/12 1932
Letter from Diocesan Registrar re reference to annual payment of £4 by curate of Patterdale to Vicar of Barton which appeared in terrier of 1908, 3 February 1932.
[no title] WPR 93/1/3/13 1935-1936
Correspondence from Bounty Office, Westminster re tithe rentcharge on glebe land with copy plan of glebe land.
[no title] WPR 93/1/3/14 1938
Mortgage and counterpart, 1 September 1938,
1. Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty.
2. Reverend E Hudson, Vicar of Barton.
To secure payment of £161 for improving a building on the glebe farm. Discharged 1 October 1953.
Order in Council relating to union of benefices of Barton and Pooley Bridge WPR 93/1/3/15 1959
Index [small bound volume] of Barton parish documents and volumes WPR 93/1/3/16 1934
Correspondence re access to parish records by [civil] parish council WPR 93/1/3/17 1948
SCHOOL WPR 93/E
Note: Barton Grammar School was founded in 1649 by the Reverend Gerard Langbaine, DD, Provost of Queen's College, Oxford, and the Reverend Lancelot Dawes, DD, Fellow of Queen's College, with Dr Dawes's money. Augmented by subscription of the Reverend Adam Airey, DD, Fellow of Queen's College and by local subscription. The Schoolhouse was erected in the 1660's and rebuilt with timber given by Thomas, Lord Dacre, Earl of Sussex and by local subscription in 1682. The Culgaith lands were exchanged for lands in Firbank and Howgill in 1752 to supplement the land at Crakah, Barton. Dr Langbaine also gave £10 per year from his Culgaith rents to bind two Barton-born apprentices yearly.
[no title] WPR 93/E 1-E 2 1682-1876
1. 1682-1876, with at back:
- Answers to enquiry re school's present state and list of masters and governors, 1682;
- Apprentices to be bound, 1689-1702;
- Notes re founders of school with list of local subscribers, 1682;
- List of other subscribers, 1682;;
- Building accounts, 1682;
- List of apprentices bound under Dr Langbaine's money and to whom, 1659-1664; 1673-1799; 1837; 1876;
- Signed minutes of governors 1826-1837.
2. circa 1800-1870, with:
- Copy appointment of Reverend Henry Hogarth of Skelton as master, 1804;
- Copy appointment of Thomas Holme late master of Crosby Ravensworth as master to succeed William Airey in 1692, copy circa 1800;
- Copy of evidence given to commission under great seal to inquire into conduct of school's affairs, 1667 with details of endowments, copy circa 1800.
Exercise book with extracts from E2 above WPR 93/E 3 19th century
Governors' minute book, with Charity Commissioners' Scheme for School, 1877 WPR 93/E 4 1877-1950
Managers' minute book WPR 93/E 5 1903-1946
Miscellaneous papers from E5 above WPR 93/E 6 1940-1945
School account book, with at back details of Church Fabric Fund, 1938-1944 WPR 93/E 7 1877-1954
HM Inspectors' reports and returns to Education Department, London WPR 93/E 8 1875-1902
Appointments of schoolmasters (original deeds) WPR 93/E 9 1692-1822
Thomas Holmes on resignation of William Airey WPR 93/E 9/1 22 December 1692
John Thompson on decease of Thomas Holm WPR 93/E 9/2 20 January 1703
Joseph Wilson on resignation of John Thompson WPR 93/E 9/3 31 May 1722
John Mattinson on resignation of Reverend Thomas Myers WPR 93/E 9/4 2 June 1798
John Webster on resignation of Reverend John Mattinson WPR 93/E 9/5 24 August 1801
Reverend H Hogarth on resignation of Reverend John Webster WPR 93/E 9/6 13 July 1804
John Mattinson WPR 93/E 9/7 17 April 1811
Henry Robinson WPR 93/E 9/8 30 July 1822
[Fragment] WPR 93/E 9/9 1805
Appointments of trustees/feofees (original deeds); [See appendix 2] WPR 93/E 10 1704-1874
Deeds of properties in Culgaith (43 plus fragments) WPR 93/E 11 1544/5-1703/4
Deeds of properties in Firbank, Howgill and Crakah (4 plus fragments). WPR 93/E 12 1675-1827
Deeds and papers re Lakethwaite in Firbank with deed of exchange for Culgaith lands, 1752 WPR 93/E 13 1643-1821
Deeds re Birkfield in Firbank (3) WPR 93/E 14 [circa 1610]-1722
File of miscellaneous financial papers WPR 93/E 15 1670-1685
Apprenticeship indentures WPR 93/E 16 1689-1875
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/1 1689
James Haythwaite, son of William Haythwaite of Thorpe, deceased, to William Hellin of Tirril, blacksmith, for 7 years, 10 April 1689.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/2 1698
William Steely son of John Steely of Emond Bridge, Webster, to his father for 7 years, 26 March 1698.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/3 1731
James Lancaster, late son of Nicholas Lancaster of Powley, Barton, yeoman, to John Harrison of Plumpton Head, Penrith, tailor, for 7 years, 21 April 1731.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/4 1733
George Lancaster of Hollinthwaite, yeoman, to John Whitlock of Sockbridge, tailor, for 7 years, 28 March 1733.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/5 1771
Elizabeth Robinson daughter of Dinah Robinson of Patterdale, aged 12, to Thomas Hayton of Patterdale, spinner, for 7 years, 3 April 1771.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/6 1774
Catherine, daughter of John Kilner of Whitehaven, aged 12 to William Bird of Parkhouse, Barton, husbandman 'to learn the art of being an useful country maid servant' for 7 years, 3 April 1774.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/7 1787
Dorothy daughter of Mary late Nicholson now Graham of Penrith aged 9 to Sarah wife of William Sisson of Sharrow, Barton, seamstress, for 12 years, 11 April 1787.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/8 1802
John Winder aged 12 to Anthony Jackson of Troutbeck, waller for 9 years, 8 June 1802.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/9 1805
William Wilkinson aged 9 to Thomas Tesdale of Longmartin, tailor, for 8 years, 7 May 1805.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/10 1841
Matthew son of Thomas Nicholson of Sandwick, yeoman to Edward Bardgett of Pooley, carpenter for 5 years, 1 June 1841.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/11 1845
Joseph the younger, of Penrith, son of Joseph Thompson the elder of Pooley, tailor, to William Burkett of Penrith, carpenter for 5 years, 14 May 1845.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/12 1859
Thomas son of the late George Irving, tailor of Patterdale (with the advice, licence and consent of William Mounsey of Grange in Borrowdale, joiner, his brother-in-law) to John Johnston of Borrowdale, tailor, until he is 21 years old, 7 March 1859.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/13 1859
Joseph son of Thomas Allinson of Martindale, shoemaker to Edward Watson of Wreay, Dacre carpenter, until he is 21 years old, 19 April 1859.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/14 1865
James Hall of Yanwath, basketmaker, to Isaac Hall his father of Yanwath, basketmaker, until he is 21 years old, 27 April 1865.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/15 1871
George Smith of Pooley Bridge, aged 14 to John Ion of Pooley Bridge, tailor, for 6 years, 5 April 1871.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/16 1874
Thomas Smith of Barton to John Smith of Pooley Bridge, joiner for 5 years, 8 April 1874.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/17 1875
Joseph son of William Jackson Armstrong of Pooley Bridge to Jonathan Horn of Pooley Bridge, blacksmith for 4 years 10 months, 9 March 1875.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/18 1875
Nicholson son of William Jackson Armstrong of Pooley Bridge to John Brown of Great Salkeld, tailor for 5 years 9 months, 17 March 1875.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/19 1756
Also found with apprenticeship indentures.
Bond in £10, 21 April 1756.
1. Lancelot Fleming of Firbank, husbandman and Lancelot Thwaite of Martindale, husbandman.
2. Feofees of Barton Grammar School.
Condition: that Lancelot Fleming observe conditions of apprenticeship indenture between himself and George Fleming bearing equal date.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/20 1757
Settlement certificate of Thomas Thompson, tailor, Jane his wife and John their son aged two years, legally settled in Caldbeck, 20 February 1757.
Allowed 7 March 1757.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/21 1763
Settlement certificate of John Robinson, labourer and Barbara his wife legally settled in Martindale, 5 November 1763.
[no title] WPR 93/E 16/22 1784
Settlement certificate of Thomas Pattinson and Margaret his daughter legally settled in Watermillock, 30 January 1784. Allowed 2 February 1784.
Quitclaim by William Airey of his rights in the schoolhouse WPR 93/E 17 1692
Bond for farm rents payable to School by William Davis of Low Winder, gent WPR 93/E 18 1700
Deeds re properties near School at Crakah (2) WPR 93/E 19 1703-1705
Receipts for apprentices' premiums paid by School WPR 93/E 20 1706-1708
Lease for 5 years of Four Lanes alias Cookson's Tenement in Beckfoot, Howgill by Barton School trustees to John Slee WPR 93/E 21 1788
Letters (2) from tenants in Firbank and Howgill WPR 93/E 22 1806-1821
School vouchers WPR 93/E 23 1806-1862
Letters re apprenticeships WPR 93/E 24 1841-1843
[no title] WPR 93/E 25 1850
Letter valuing School's inclosure allotment at Firbank prior to sale to William Thompson, MP
[no title] WPR 93/E 26 1862-1875
Letters from Aaron Nelson of Patterdale re placing and progress of Barton charity apprentices in his care with two accounts from him re same.
[no title] WPR 93/E 27 Circa 1864-1956
File of miscellaneous papers, including:
- (Copy) rules for master of Barton Grammar School, [circa 1864];
- Note re foundation and endowment of School, [circa 1865]
- Letter from Charity Commission re authority of trustees under new scheme for regulation of Charity, 30 April 1877;
- Correspondence from Lucy Drueker, London NW8 to Reverend E Hudson re listing of [School] deeds and other papers, with list of same, 1946;
- Sketch plan of school and school field showing site of proposed new entrance to school field, 1949;
- Correspondence re insurance of Barton School during tenancy of Church Pastoral Aid Society, 1953;
- Letter enquiring re location of sewer pipe on School site at time of sale of School to Church Pastoral Aid Trust, 1956.
[no title] WPR 93/E 28 1872-1873
File of correspondence from Charity Commission re sale of the Old Grammar School with account of Harrison and Little, solicitors, Penrith for acting in conveyance of School, 1873.
[no title] WPR 93/E 29 1931-1935
File of correspondence and receipts re extinguishment of tithe rentcharges payable on various properties by trustees of Barton School.
[no title] WPR 93/E 30 1938
File of specifications and tenders re proposed drainage and building work at Barton School and Schoolhouse with plans of works.
[no title] WPR 93/E 31 1950
Lease (counterpart) for 5 years, 4 May 1950,
1. Reverend E Hudson, Vicar of Barton, E W Hasell of Dalemain, Joseph Lowthian of Brooklyn, Tirril and D'Arcy Armytage Dawes of Leacon Hall, Warehorne, Ashford, Kent.
2. The Church Pastoral Aid Trust.
Premises: Barton School and field at rear of School.
Rent: £26 per year for School, £1 per year for field.
With at foot: further lease for one year, 16 November 1954.