BARONY HOSPITAL, Nantwich (formerly NANTWICH UNION WORKHOUSE)
|Source of acquisition
||Acc 1266,1447(pt), 3920(pt)
||Barony Hospital, ?1930-
||Records are arranged as follows:
||Nantwich Board of Guardians records, (including registers of inmates) 1842-1949 see LGN
County Council Public Assistance Committee Minutes 1930-1948 see CCC1/3.
County Medical Officer of Health reports see CCC 2/2.
South Cheshire Hospital Management Committee records see NHCs 9.
Nantwich Union Infirmary was built in 1890-1 by Nantwich Board of Guardians, on a site adjoining the Workhouse in the Barony Ward. The Workhouse had accommodation for c.300 inmates, and the Infirmary had 70 beds for the treatment of the sick poor. Under the Local Government Act, 1929, Boards of Guardians were dissolved and their buildings and functions transferred to the Local Authority in 1930. Since the Workhouse and Infirmary occupied the same site, Cheshire County Council decided that the Infirmary could not be usefully appropriated for hospital purposes; so the whole was designated a Public Assistance Institution for treating the (chronic) sick poor, under the management of the Public Assistance Committee. In 1930, it had 124 beds. In 1935, the Council introduced a new scheme to allot particular types of cases to particular Public Assistance Institutions; the Barony was appropriated for acute medical, maternity and a proportion of chronic cases.
On the outbreak of war in 1939, part of the site was appropriated for use under the Emergency Medical Service and a hutted hospital of 240 beds was erected.
With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, the Hospital was transferred to the management of the South Cheshire (Group 20) Hospital Management Committee, part of the Manchester Regional Hospital Board. The Committee established its administrative offices in the Hospital. As well as treating medical and maternity cases, the Hospital also functioned as a mental hospital from 1948 to 1962. In 1963 it had 264 beds.
When the NHS was reorganised in 1974, the Hospital became part of Crewe District in Cheshire Area Health Authority; at the reorganisation in 1982 it became part of Crewe District Health Authority, which has its headquarters on the site. In 1982 the Hospital had 147 beds for geriatric and psychiatric patients.
Child Welfare Clinics (see NHCs 6/3920/10) were established by the County Council as part of their Maternity and Child Welfare Scheme introduced in 1914 under the power granted in the Notification of Births Act 1907. The Centre in Nantwich, established in 1917, was situated in Beam Street.
The records consist of 25 registers of patients from 1917 to 1978. All, except the volume relating to Child Welfare Centre, date from after 1948.
PATIENTS: GENERAL NHCs/6/1,6 and 3920/1 1949-1956
General registers of patients (the dates given are those of discharge)
General register of patients NHCs/6/1/1 Mar 1949 - Jun 1950
General register of patients NHCs/6/1/2 Jun 1950 - Apr 1952
General register of patients NHCs/6/1/3 Apr 1952 - Aug 1954
General register of patients NHCs/6/1/4 Sep 1954 - Feb 1956
Admission and discharge register NHCs/6/3920/1 Jan 1976 - Jul 1978
Register of death NHCs/6/6/1 Mar 1949 - Jun 1951
Register of death NHCs/6/6/2 Jun 1951 - Feb 1954
Register of death NHCs/6/6/3 Feb 1954 - Feb 1957
Register of death NHCs/6/6/4 Feb 1957 - Jan 1959
PATIENTS: MENTAL NHCs/6/2-4 and 3920/2,3 1948-1962
General registers of patients under the Mental Treatment Rules
[no title] NHCs/6/3/1 Jul 1948 - Sep 1962
(Female patients only) NHCs/6/3/2 Oct 1951 - Sep 1962
Alphabetical register of patients under the Mental Treatment Rules NHCs/6/4 Jul 1948 - Sep 1962
Register of patients admitted under sections 20 and 21 of the Lunacy Act 1890 NHCs/6/2 Mar 1956 - Sep 1962
Nominal list of patients in wards, Barony Mental Hospital NHCs/6/3920/2 Dec 1951 - Sep 1962
Register of mechanical restraint and seclusion, Barony Mental Hospital NHCs/6/3920/3 Nov 1950 - Nov 1955
PATIENTS: MATERNITY NHCs/6/3920/4-9 1955-1972
Registers of midwifery cases
Register of midwifery cases NHCs/6/3920/4 Sep 1955 - Jul 1960
Register of midwifery cases NHCs/6/3920/5 Jul 1960 - Mar 1965
Register of midwifery cases NHCs/6/3920/6 Mar 1965 - Dec 1968
Register of midwifery cases NHCs/6/3920/7 Dec 1968 - Aug 1971
Register of midwifery cases NHCs/6/3920/8 Dec 1969 - Oct 1970
Register of midwifery cases NHCs/6/3920/9 Jun 1971 - Mar 1972
Registers of births [no ref.] 1952-1957
Register of births NHCs/6/5/1 Jun 1952 - Jul 1954
Register of births NHCs/6/5/2 Jul 1954 - Mar 1956
Register of births NHCs/6/5/3 Mar 1956 - May 1957
PATIENTS: CHILDREN NHCs/6/3920/10
Register of patients, Cheshire County Council Child Welfare Centre NHCs/6/3920/10/1 c1917-1927
The provenance of this volume is not clear (see introductory note).
PATIENTS: MISCELLANEOUS NHCs/6/3920/11
Register of accommodation statistics NHCs/6/3920/11/1 Jan 1950 - May 1959
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014